Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Money Money Money

After rocking around the country for the last 16 weeks I managed to spend most of my savings. Thinking I would find a job easy I let the money run low until starting to look for work, I stopped in Tauranga to try and find a job in the city but after handing in handfuls of c.vs and staring at my phone for a couple of days I was still without work. All the time the money slowly dripping away, in an attempt to make the cash last I started buying 3 minute noodles again. I eventually gave up on Tauranga and headed to the nearby town of Mt Maunganui just because I was sick of job hunting and I knew a couple of people who where around the area.
I checked into a hostel on Saturday and had stumbled upon a recruiting agency who where in the middle of talking to a group who where already employed by them and who where also staying at the hostel. I waited in the background until the man speaking had finished I slipped over to him and asked if there was any chance of getting a job.
The next day I was off to a Muscle packing house for a 2 hour induction on how to pack a box. This, after 2 evenings (4-1 o'clock) remains the most interesting thing that has happened to me here as my general shift includes standing next to a conveyor belt, watching muscles getting crammed into a box further down the line, watching them float down to me where I pick up the 'inner box' and place it in an 'outer box' 7 or 8 hours later with a 30 min smoko (break) and I emerge from the packing house $95 richer and 2 IQ points dummer.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crap didnt mean to delete that comment.....
    anyway:
    thats £5.17 p/hour (@ current exchange rate), which is 11.17 NZD p/hour. New zealand adult minimum wage is 12.50 NZD !! go get your money!!
    having fun other that work still?

    ReplyDelete